The DHIS2 Live package is the easiest way to get started with DHIS2 on your local computer. DHIS2 Live is appropriate for a stand-alone installation and demos. Simply download the application from here. Once the file is downloaded, you can simply double-click the downloaded file, and get started using DHIS2.
You must be sure that you have a current version of the Java Runtime installed on your machine. Depending on your operating system, there are different ways of installing Java. The reader is referred to this website for detailed information on getting Java installed.
The live package comes with a demo database just like what you see on the online demo (which is based on the national Sierra Leone HMIS), and if you want to start with a blank system/database and build up your own system then you need to do the following:
1) Stop DHIS2 live if it is already running. Right click on the tray icon and select Exit. The tray icon is the green symbol on the bottom right of your screen (on Windows) which should say' DHIS2 Server running' when you hover your mouse pointer over the icon.
2) Open the folder where the DHIS2 live package is installed and locate the folder called "conf".
3) In conf/ open the file called 'hibernate.properties' in a text editor (notepad or similar) and do the following modification: locate the string 'jdbc:h2:./database/dhis2' and replace the 'dhis2' part with any name that you want to give to your database (e.g. dhis2_test).
4) Save and close the hibernate.properties file.
5) Start DHIS2 Live by double-clicking on the file dhis2-live.exe in the DHIS2 Live installation folder or by using a desktop shortcut or menu link that you might have set up.
6) Wait for the browser window to open and the login screen to show, and then log in with username: admin and password: district
7) Now you will see a completely empty DHIS2 system and you should start by adding your users, organisational hierarchy, data elements, and datasets etc. Please refer to the other sections of the user manual for instructions on how to do this.
The latest stable server version can be downloaded from this website. For detailed information on how to install it please refer to the installation chapter in the implementation manual.